Swedish Pancakes

On Sunday my most excellent residency hosts, Krista and Zak (at the Philadelphia Art Hotel) hosted the other resident, Jessica, and I for brunch.  It was super thoughtful of them to make a batch of Swedish pancakes just for me (the only vegan).  I provided applesauce as an egg replacer (1 tbsp as = 1 egg).  Because they are cooked in a griddle, the applesauce didn’t bind quite the way their batch did with the egg, but it did work, and they tasted amazing, as you can see from the photo.  I promise there are pancakes under all of that goodness.

Here’s the recipe Krista followed for about five pancakes:

Vegan Swedish Pancakes

• 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 2.5 cups soymilk
  • 1 cup flour
  • Earth Balance (TM) for cookin’ and slatherin’

Whisk applesauce, soymilk and flour together until a bit runnier than “normal” pancake batter.  Pour a bit into a hot pan freshly dolloped with Earth Balance (TM) and swirl the batter in the bottom of the pan to make a thin, even coat.  Allow to cook until a bit less shiny on top and flip with a spatula.  Once finished, use the spatula to fold the pancake into quarters and pop onto a plate in a warm oven.  Repeat until you have a stack of yummy pancakes.

We served ours with more EB, powdered sugar, blackberry sauce, and fresh strawberries, blueberries and chopped white peaches.

Let us know if you have a go-to Swedish Pancake recipe, or have other ideas on how to veganize this one.  Maybe next time we’ll try ground flax + water.

#1 Erik on 08.17.10 at 8:16 am

I was so excited to find a simple Swedish pancake recipe! Unfortunately, I messed up in a big way. Something happened and they came out goopy. The edges got crispy but the center stayed runny. What should I do next time?

#2 Danielle on 08.17.10 at 9:00 am

jealous!

#3 Amy on 08.17.10 at 10:56 am

Hmm, Erik I’m so glad you tried them, and it _is_ a bit of a trial-and-error process. Some ideas- pour them and immediately swirl them so that they’re as evenly thin as possible- they’re more likely to cook evenly that way. Also, I would honestly try a different binder. I would go with a mixture of ground flax seed and water- mix the two until thick and add about a teaspoon at first to your batter mixture. Add more if they still seem runny.

If you try any of these experiments, please report back and let us know how it went. Happy pancakeing!

#4 Amy on 08.17.10 at 10:56 am

D- you would have enjoyed it- wish you were there!

#5 chow vegan on 08.17.10 at 8:03 pm

Oh my, those pancakes look delicious! 🙂

#6 Danielle on 08.17.10 at 10:12 pm

I am going to try to make them soon. But with the ground flax/water mix. and maybe chia seeds. I will report back.

#7 Melisser on 08.18.10 at 5:16 pm

Those look AWESOME! Yes, please.

#8 Stephanie on 09.12.10 at 11:44 pm

the picture looked very appealing so i decided to make them today. unfortunately when i went to flip it, it tore apart leaving me with a pile of mush. next time i am definitely going to try it with the flax. other than that it tasted delicious, i topped mine with a mixture of cinnamon sugar.

#9 Gauri Radha गौरी राधा on 02.18.11 at 2:59 am

How colorful and lovely!!