Best Hot Weather Snack: Avocado and Grapefruit

I don’t know where I first came across this recipe (if you can call it that; it’s so simple), but grapefruit and avocado has been one of my favorite hot weather treats for a while now.  Chop a chilled ripe grapefruit and chilled avocado half (I like it when it’s still slightly firm) and mix them together.  I top them with seasalt and pepper because I put salt and pepper on everything.  I find that duo actually brings out the sweetness in the grapefruit.  Enjoy!

I’m curious what everyone else’s favorite hot weather snack is?  I know there are a bunch of good ones out there, so let’s share the wealth.  If you have a foodie blog, you could link to your vegan recipes in the comments.  Thanks everybody…and stay cool!

#1 Jessica @ Lima's Vegan Kitchen on 07.19.10 at 11:23 am

Wow…I would have never thought of putting these two together. Looks interesting!

#2 Sue on 07.19.10 at 1:19 pm

Yummy! I often make a salad using avocado and grapefruit, served on a bed of watercress and drizzled with a simple dressing made of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and dijon mustard. It’s a wonderful and fun ‘company’ salad, because people are always shocked by the combination, then amazed at how delicious it is!

As for hot weather snacks? Frozen grapes or frozen chunks of watermelon. Easy, no fuss, always on hand. Plus frozen grapes make great cat toys!

By the way, this is my first comment although I discovered your blog back in April. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes! Your fakin is incredible. Mmmmm…..

#3 sophia on 07.19.10 at 2:22 pm

that sounds so good and refreshing!

#4 Julia on 07.19.10 at 5:08 pm

Yum! I’ll definitely have to do this, as grapefruits and avocados abound these days in SoCal. I’ve made a similar salad with pear and avocado which was also good (http://juliasvegankitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/avocado-pear-yes.html).

Tabouleh is also a good hot weather standby because (so long as you make it with bulgur) you don’t even need to turn on the stove! And the mint and lemon are very refreshing.

#5 Lalla on 07.20.10 at 8:29 am

I could eat watermelon all the day! I just Love it! :)
If I want something salty I eat greek salade.
bye from a today-really-hot Switzerland

#6 Grace B. on 07.21.10 at 7:00 pm

this sounds pretty wild- i must try it! (i’m a bit skeptical about putting pepper on it, but i’ll take your word and put some on)

my boyfriend made me some frozen banana icecream- supposedly you posted it. it was great!!

#7 Courtney on 07.21.10 at 7:03 pm

Watermelon! Nothing is more refreshing than watermelon…yum :-)

Courtney

#8 Zoa on 07.24.10 at 6:59 pm

Well, really, avocado is one of those magical foods. What *doesn’t* taste better with avocado chunks? Grapefruit is probably my second favorite fruit, so I’m going salsa with this one day soon…hot weather snacks? Right now, it has to be chocolate malts: 1 frozen banana, 1.5 cups soy milk, 2 tbsp barley malt powder, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp cocoa powder = heaven.

#9 Gauri Radha गौरी राधा on 06.26.11 at 9:25 pm

I LOVE avocado but would never have thought to mix it with grapefruit. Interesting idea!