Gluten-Free Naan

Stef is allergic to wheat products, so we rocked the gluten-free naan action for the Indian Feast.  She and Ken came prepared with this recipe, which we veganized.  It was some superlative naan, I assure you.  I should mention that before they arrived on Saturday night, I searched high and low all over the interwebs for vegan AND gluten free naan to no avail.  So this might be one of the only recipes of this sort you’ll find for this Indian curry-scooping staple.  Here’s the translation:

Veganized Gluten Free Naan

• 1 cup tepid unsweetened soy milk
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour (superfine)
  • 1/2 cup white rice flour
  • 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
  • 3 tbsp chickpea (garbanzo bean) and/or fava bean flour (we didn’t have the required teff flour and this worked fine)
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp dried active yeast
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 cup soy creamer (or soymilk) with 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp cornstarch added as replacement for the yogurt [plain soy, coconut or rice yogurt would probably work fine too if you have one of them on hand (we didn’t)]
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed combined with 3 tbsp water as replacement for the egg
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • melted Earth Balance ™ for brushing atop naan prior to baking
  • onion powder and more salt for sprinkling onto naan prior to baking
  • optional fresh minced chives–either mix into dough or sprinkle atop each piece prior to baking (ideally both!)

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the tepid soymilk and store in a warm place for 10 minutes or so. Make the “egg” and set aside. Make the “yogurt” by whisking the ingredients together and set aside. In a large-ish bowl, sift the dry ingredients (flours, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum) together. Mix the wet ingredients (“egg”, “yogurt”, and yeast-milk) into the dry and continue mixing until a smooth dough is formed.

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Divide dough into about six separate balls, and roll each one into a thin flat round using the traditional rolling pin method (be sure to use one of the flours on the rolling pin and surface first), or use a floured plastic bag or piece of parchment paper between the rolling pin and the dough. It should look something like this:

Place each piece onto an oiled cookie sheet and bake for about three minutes. Flip bread and bake for 2 minutes more.  Watch for brown spots to appear on top of each piece. You may need to put it under the broiler for additional browning, or add baking time depending on your oven.

Celiacs and vegans alike can rejoice over this one!  The naan was an essential component to our feast.  Victory!

#1 Mihl on 05.19.10 at 8:26 am

I would not have guessed this was gluten-free. Wow!

#2 jessy on 05.19.10 at 9:37 am

squeeeeeeee! i’ve been looking for an awesome gluten-free naan recipe. my spouse and i have been holding off on making indian yummies because i haven’t had much success with the naan. i can’t wait to try out your recipe – the naan looks amazing! thanks so much!

#3 amy on 05.19.10 at 9:44 am

Jessy, if you end up making it, let us know how it went, and if you made any changes. We’re so happy that this recipe is what you’ve been looking for!

#4 sea on 05.19.10 at 2:16 pm

I love that you veganized my recipe- I’ll have to try your version as I’m baking vegan these days! Glad you enjoyed it!

-Sea

#5 amy on 05.19.10 at 3:17 pm

Sea, thank you so much for posting such a great recipe to work from! I hope your vegan and gluten free endeavors are a hit!

#6 Indian Feast — Irreverent Vegan on 05.21.10 at 11:26 am

[…] Gluten-Free Naan → […]

#7 Courtney on 05.21.10 at 5:33 pm

Are you kidding me with all these delicious Indian recipes?! I am eating gluten free and can’t wait to try this! Question–is that 3tbs chickpea flour AND 3tbs fava bean flour? Or 3tbs garfava flour (a mix of the two)?

Thanks!
Courtney

#8 amy on 05.22.10 at 9:21 pm

Courtney,
Sorry for the confusion; it was 3 tbsp of both flours combined (ours came combined), but you could probably do one or the other. Hope this clears it up!

#9 Jill on 04.26.11 at 12:09 pm

So, both this recipe and the original have a lot of liquid. I used this, the vegan version, and it is not dough – it turns out as more of a pancake batter. I was able to smear it into shapes roughly like naan on my silpat and cook them up that way, a little lower oven temp and longer worked best. It’s very tasty (rave reviews from some vegan gluten eaters) but I’m wondering where the transcription error is on this and the original? Should it be less liquid or more flours? I would guess from the amount of flaxseed and xanthan that the first liquid should probably be a half cup and possibly even the “yogurt” should be halved. With less liquid, one might have to let the dough rest a bit and hydrate the flours. When I try it again, I’ll let you know how it turns out with less liq. Cheers!

#10 amy on 04.27.11 at 11:18 am

Jill, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I don’t recall having a problem with this recipe, but it’s been a while since we made it. I’m glad it worked out in the end for you. If you make it again, do let us know what alterations you made to the recipe and how that worked out, so we can amend accordingly. Thanks!