French Toast (take 1)

There are a lot of vegan french toast recipes out there. For some reason, though, none of them has every really done the trick.  They’re always okay, but either (a) just create a crispy layer on the outside without really transforming or flavoring the bread, or (b) soak all the way through the bread, making it soggy and very difficult to cook all the way through. A lot of this has to do with how thick your batter is. Too thick and you get (a); too thin and you get (b). For this incarnation, I tried a yogurt and soymilk base with a tinch of cornstarch and nu yeast.

French Toast!

The consistency was pretty good. I think if we’d had the right bread–thick, light bread, not dense Rudi’s multigrain–this would have been just right. The yogurt adds a little tartness that, for standard french toast (served with syrup), probably isn’t desirable. It would be just the thing, however, with a nice compote or jam.

French Toast (Yogurt Version)

• 4 pieces of thick, light bread
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened milk-like beverage
  • 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
  • 1 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp corn starch

Fire up a large frying pan or griddle at medium (or just under) heat. Toss in a dollop of Earth Balance ™. Whisk all of the non-bread ingredients together in a bowl large enough to accommodate a piece of bread. When the butter has melted, briefly dunk a piece of bread in, coating both sides but not getting soggy, and toss it in the pan/griddle. Repeat for as many pieces of bread as your pan/griddle will hold. Cook until the bottom side of the bread is brown, then flip, cooking until the other side is brown. Remove from heat and serve hot.

Simple, eh?

#1 Anonymous on 12.31.69 at 7:00 pm
#2 Jennifer Bock-Nelson on 12.08.09 at 5:41 pm

I wonder if mushed banana would work in lieu of yogurt for standard french toast with maple syrup?

#3 Mihl on 12.08.09 at 1:40 pm

This sounds great! I’ve never used yoghurt in French toast batter. Yum, French toast with maple syrup. I should skip dinner and go for a second breakfast.

#4 Zoa on 12.08.09 at 8:27 pm

Mark, have you tried the Fronch Toast recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance? It’s kind of like yours, actually, with the addition of chickpea flour which makes toast that is crunchy and protein-y and even a little eggy-tasting if you want to go there…

#5 lauren on 12.10.09 at 1:31 am

i totally should NOT have read this before bed!

#6 Noura on 12.17.15 at 12:12 am

You should be able to pick up bnnaaa liquor at any liquor store. There aren’t alot of brands out there, but 99 Bananas is an awesome brand. It will work wonderfully for cooking. Also, at Christmas time, you can mix 99 Bananas and a dash of peppermint schnapps (about 3 to 1 bnnaaa to peppermint) in a shot glass. Sounds weird, but it’s tasty.

#7 http://www.sorethumbsblog.com/ on 04.28.16 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post. It’s lifted the level of debate

#8 http://www.blrimages.net/ on 04.28.16 at 8:43 pm

Expect more and more of this, Fred. These aren’t atheists but anti-Christians. They hate Christianity and Christians and will impose this “religion” upon us all.We have lost the nation and there is no way to get it back without bloodshed I fear.

#9 http://www.sorethumbsblog.com/ on 04.28.16 at 9:41 pm

Well, thanks for the give-away. And inline skating is my favorite activity in spring (and summer and fall). Just love being outdoors though and seeing nature starting up again. Thank you!

#10 http://www.modestochirooffices.com/ on 04.30.16 at 9:25 pm

connie miller – Erica I really appreciate your gift of taking Sarah and Julians engagement pictures. They are just wonderful honey, your the best . thanks so much they are beautiful Sarahs mom Connie miller

#11 http://www.stemxchange.org/ on 05.12.16 at 9:03 pm

Look there for more:…Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging glance easy. The total glance of your site is great, let alone as} the content…

#12 http://www.bostonianinnandrvpark.com/ on 07.08.16 at 10:01 am

Great photos and they inspire me to try my best to make good ones myself. I’m also in Taiwan and love to blog about whatever I see here and most of my followers say I post good photos. I’d be happy, if you check them out.Best of luck to you.MKL

#13 http://www.insurance.liquorisquicker.net/ on 07.20.16 at 10:38 am

I precisely wanted to thank you so much yet again. I do not know the things I could possibly have made to happen in the absence of the actual tips and hints revealed by you about such question. It previously was the scary situation in my circumstances, nevertheless encountering the very specialised fashion you handled that took me to weep for happiness. I am just happier for this information as well as expect you find out what a great job you have been providing instructing other individuals all through your webpage. I’m certain you have never encountered any of us.