Halloween Candy

So having moved into a house in the not-too-distant past, we found ourselves, as grownups (nominally), on the other side of one of life’s most important doors: the Halloween door.

Sjaak's Vegan Peanut Butter Bites

Sjaak's Vegan Peanut Butter Bites

I was kind of excited to hand out candy to the little chilluns, to be the house with good candy. You know those houses. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Snickers, not that bullshit orange and black taffy stuff. Or the guy with pocket change. Or bags of popcorn that you can’t eat anyway because they’re not hermetically sealed and probably contain razorblades in the kernels. I’m talking about good candy.

But.

As a vegan, I don’t tend to eat much candy. At first, this was because it was too hard to find. Eventually, I think my whole palate changed and now I only occasionally gorge myself when Ryan makes 3 different kinds of cupcakes.

But what to give out to the chilluns? I know PETA has a list, but most of that stuff sucks. I’m talking about good candy.

In a perfect world, I’d make the Peanut Butter Cups from How It All Vegan, but they’d just get thrown away and/or would all be full of razorblades somehow.

I know most of the neighborhood kids aren’t vegan, so (a) they don’t care and (b) if they’re expecting “regular” candy, they might be unpleasantly surprised by a sub-par replacement.

Amy did find vegan peanut butter bites at the coop, but at $10/bag, Halloween could get pretty expensive.

What to do? Any ideas?! Anyone with vegan kids have a list of kid-approved treats?

#1 Anonymous on 12.31.69 at 7:00 pm
#2 Afsoon on 10.24.09 at 7:41 pm

Wow! $10?! Holy crap! But I’m all in for pb & chocolate

#3 Mihl on 10.25.09 at 11:06 am

I don’t have tips as we don’t celebrate Halloween, hope you guys find a good solution. All those razorblades in your post sound scary.

#4 Amy Sacksteder on 10.25.09 at 4:46 pm

Yee-haw! Great idea Jen!

#5 leslie on 10.25.09 at 1:32 pm

I’m giving out skittles- sugary crap, but vegan “good” candy!

#6 mark on 10.25.09 at 4:25 pm

Jen: That’s genius! For some reason, I was locked into candy and had been neglecting the whole cookie angle. Good call.

Leslie: Also a good call. Somehow, I missed the memo in July that North American Skittles are now vegan. That being said, Mars (the maker of Skittles) has a pretty nasty track-record of inhumane animal testing.

Afsoon: I know! Still, for a one-time personal indulgence, I can deal with $10…just not several bags to hand out. Any peanut butter cup clearly labeled vegan, organic, and fair trade is worth supporting.

Mihl: Sorry to sound so morbid! I’m joking, of course, but there’s a kernel of truth behind the joke. Along with the fun parts of the Halloween tradition, there is also an urban legend about people trying to poison children as well as vastly overblown stories of people putting razor blades and needles in candy and apples. A sad result of this is that parents only feel safe letting their kids eat pre-packaged sealed candy; so it’s no longer acceptable to give out healthy snacks like apples and popcorn (which kids aren’t very excited about anyway), or even not-so-healthy homemade snacks like cookies. Like many MoFos, we prefer not to buy too much pre-packaged stuff and feel that cooking/baking/making for someone is a way of showing that you care about them. So it’s a sad cultural loss that we can’t engage kids on these terms.

#7 Jennifer Bock-Nelson on 10.25.09 at 9:54 pm

Get those 100 calorie snack packs of oreos to hand out. Oreos rock.