Southwest Scramble

Due to recent advances in brunch frequency technology, this summer’s been a veritable brunchfest. For the triple-T brunch, we made a Southwest Scrapple. Yes. Scrapple. Not “scramble”. I decided this was a scrapple because it features not only tofu, but tempeh as well. But also because it felt like a scrapple. I didn’t even really know what scrapple is.

Well, it turns out scrapple is like a breakfast meatloaf made of congealed pig scraps and various flours. Sounds like just the kind of thing worth emulating. I’d sooner eat my words than crapple, so “scramble” it is.

Eat the Scrapple

Southwest Scramble

• 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 small can of diced mild green chilis
  • 1 cup cooked or 1/2 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 lb tofu, drained
  • 1 package tempeh, cut irregularly
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 4 tbsp nu yeast
  • salt and pepper to taste

Like most scrambles and probably most crapples, this is pretty simple. In a large-ish pot, sautee the onion, green bell pepper, and chilis in oil, over medium heat. When the onions and bell pepper begin to soften, add in the tempeh and cook for 5 – 10 minutes, until the tempeh starts to brown a little bit. Crumble in the tofu, mashing up the remaining large bits with a spatula. Do it with gusto. But without alacrity. Once everything is mixed well, add the spices and nu yeast, in order. Finish off with some fresh ground salt and pepper.

Garnish with sliced avocado and salsa.

It will look like this in a pot, if you make this correctly and your pot looks exactly like ours:

Scrapple

#1 Valerie on 08.03.09 at 10:54 pm

I had this & it was yummy yummy in my tummy; thanks, Mark, for always rocking it in the kitchen!

#2 N.I.K. on 08.05.09 at 3:29 am

Scrapple is a meat by-product made from mush pork scraps/trimmings that have been mixed with cornmeal and flour to form a vaguely loafish substance that typically gets pan fried or flat grilled. It’s popular where I grew up in PA and is every bit as loathsome as it sounds.

I will note that pictures are deceiving – it’s nowhere near as rough-textured as it looks, but is instead crumbly in a moistily unpleasant way until cooked, at which point it goes rough and dry and unwholesome.

#3 N.I.K. on 08.05.09 at 3:31 am

Oh, and I realize you mentioned what the real stuff is made from – I just figured it was worth re-iterating before describing it as being nasty in the extreme.

#4 Julia on 08.05.09 at 2:25 pm

I can vouch for the overall nastiness of scrapple. My brother and sister-in-law lived in Delaware for a time, and on a visit to them, was my first and only run-in with the vile concoction. The smell alone was disturbing enough and its looks didn’t win it any points either. This town even had a yearly Scrapple Festival–Good lord ‘amighty they are a hard up people for finding something worth having a Festival over.
Mark….I have not had a moment to try any of your dishes YET…I have been up to my ears making tomato pie and Zucchini bread and frying up squash blossoms; everything will simmer down here in a week or two and I can cook up some of your stuff 🙂

#5 maddog on 01.04.10 at 4:28 pm

Holy this is filling! Made it yesterday — very delicious and I was full all day.

#6 Jeff from PA on 09.06.11 at 4:47 pm

Its not quite scrapple, only in a sense that it is a jumble of parts 🙂 Real scrapple is awesome and must be prepared by a veteran scrapple sherpa, otherwise you may chose a poor brand or just straight up do it wrong. I’ll be giving this recipe a shot to compare 😛