Grillable Chick Patties

chick patty

As you have recently learned (you have been following along, right?) from making black bean burgers: The secret to vegan grilling is pre-baking or pre-steaming.

Whilst unearthing this fantastic culinary nugget, it occurred to me, strangely, for the first time: hey, I could make a grrrrrillable chick patty. Why this never occurred to me before, I can’t tell you. It’s too sad.

But occur it did. Like a Mack truck.

When I first grilled one of these and saw the perfect charred-in lines, I might have actually giggled. But deeply. Like Barry White thinking of something funny he saw on TV.  Behold:

purr-fect grill marks

Grillable Chick Patties

• 2 cups (1 can) cooked chick peas
  • 1/4 grated/microplaned/finely diced carrots
  • 2 sprigs fresh / 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup ground oats
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed, mixed with 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 batch chik’n almond bake

Preheat oven to 375. Place a pan of water on a low rack. This will keep things moist.

Prepare the flax seed and water–this needs to sit for about 10 minutes, until it becomes sort of gelatinous. This is the equivalent of 1 egg and can be used as a binder in lots of other recipes.

Rinse and drain the chick peas thoroughly. It’s important that you think of them as “chick peas” and not “garbanzo beans,” as that would ruin the play on “chick.” In general, “garbanzo” people are not to be trusted.

Add in the carrots. Mash. Mash it up.

Add in the ground oats and spices and mix/mash thoroughly.

Oil a baking sheet. Form the mix into patties–this will make 3 decent-sized burgers or 4 smallish guys. I recommend going with 3. Actually, I recommend making a double, triple, or quadruple batch–since it doesn’t really take much more work and these can be refrigerated or frozen. Pop the patties on the cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes to a side.

They can be grilled immediately or refrigerated or frozen.

Serve on a lightly toasted (right on the grill) bun with lettuce, tomato, onion and either Earth Balance ™ or Vegenaise ™.

We had this with smashed potatoes and mushroom gravy.

Chick Dinner

#1 Sacky on 07.14.09 at 9:31 pm

I was there. I ate this. It was amazing! These patties are perfection incarnate. Trust me.

#2 lauren on 07.17.09 at 10:08 pm

nice photos here Mawk!

#3 Katie on 08.18.09 at 3:58 pm

So I was at a restaurant in Cambridge, MA not to long ago and they served edamame burgers. I asked the waitress what was in them since they were so delicious and she said soy beans and chick peas. Do you think I could substitute half of the chick peas with soy beans to add some color and additional nutrients? They served it with fresh sliced ginger and goat cheese- really great!

#4 mark on 08.18.09 at 4:07 pm

Hey Katie–yeah, I think you could definitely substitute soy beans in. Soy beans have roughly the same consistency as chick peas (if not slightly smoother), so they’ll mash up nicely. You can really use any beans you want and these will cook up about the same. You’ll probably get the most “chicken-y” taste from chick peas, but play around, there are lots of awesome beans. The only thing to watch is the beans’ consistency–some beans are mushier than others, and this might require a bit more oats or a little corn meal.

#5 Ken on 05.09.10 at 9:19 pm

Hi Mark,

Another culinary delight! Steff and I served this dish with a side of coleslaw with a vegan dressing that Steff whipped up, it was amazing. For the “chicken burger” we toasted a wheat free English muffin that we brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with fresh thyme.

#6 Amy on 05.10.10 at 11:54 am

Ken, that sounds perfect! I can’t wait to eat with you two sometime soon!

#7 Emi Ito on 09.08.14 at 12:20 pm

Could you use chia seeds instead of flax seed? They get very gooey when soaked in liquid.

#8 Christine Gloeckner on 06.20.15 at 1:40 pm

it says 1 batch of chik’n almond bake…..do i mix up everything except the tempeh and add it in with the burgers?